So my pasta dinner in the Instant Pot might have been a fail, but my Beef Stew was an insta[pot] success!
This was so good, I forget to take a picture, this is my second helping (I skipped lunch).
- 6qt Instant Pot
- Large spoon
- Measuring cup
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- sea salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 16oz can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Bay lead
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4-5 small potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup mashed potatoes
1. In the Instant Pot, set on Sauté onion and garlic with olive oil. Cook until onions start to turn translucent.
2. Add beef stew meat, season with salt and pepper first.
3. Add beef broth.
4. Add tomatoes
5. Add packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
6. Add bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary.
7. Add carrot, potatoes, and celery.
8. Stir and place the lid on the Instant Pot. Set on Meat/Stew on High for 20 minutes. Make sure vent is closed.
9. Let NPR for 15 min.
10. To thicken, stir in instant mashed potato flakes.
If you have ever had the Beef Stew at Cracker Barrel, this is very similar. The tomatoes break down and the onions disintegrate into the sauce. The potatoes breaking down will make the sauce thicker, but I help things along by adding the mashed potatoes. It tastes better than adding flour or cornstarch.
We ate this served over egg noodles. Because I used the last of my beef bouillon (which meant basically dumping in the remainder of my jar) and added the soup mix, this was a little salty, but it was so good. I have brought the leftovers to lunch at work all week. Perfect for the chilly office!