After the last couple of years the world has gone through, it’s more important than ever to prioritize our mental health. It is important to do things that put us in a good mood or promote our self-care. In honor of May is Mental Health Awareness Month, here are 31 ideas for improving mental health that you can try each day in the month:
- Curate a playlist of feel-good songs:Creating a playlist of our favorite songs can lift our mood and make us happy.
- Write a gratitude list or journal: Take some time each day to write down things you’re thankful for, or keep a gratitude journal to reflect on positive experiences.
- Take a warm bath with soothing essential oils: Soaking in a warm bath with essential oils like lavender or eucalyptus can help relax the mind and body.
- Practice yoga or stretching: Yoga and stretching exercises can help alleviate stress and tension, improve flexibility, and boost mood.
- Spend time in nature: Being in nature, whether it’s a walk in the park or a hike, can reduce stress and improve mental clarity.
- Do something creative, such as painting or drawing: Engaging in creative hobbies can help reduce stress and boost creativity.
- Spend time with a pet or animal: Spending time with a furry friend can reduce feelings of loneliness and boost mood.
- Watch a funny movie or TV show: Laughter is one of the best ways to boost mood and reduce stress.
- Read a book or listen to an audiobook: Reading or listening to books can provide a mental escape and reduce stress.
- Cook or bake a favorite recipe: Cooking or baking can be a therapeutic and creative outlet, and enjoying your favorite foods can boost mood.
- Spend time with loved ones or friends: Spending quality time with loved ones can reduce feelings of loneliness and provide a sense of connection and support.
- Take a break from technology and social media: Taking a break from screens and social media can improve mental clarity and reduce stress.
- Write down positive affirmations and read them aloud: Affirmations are positive statements that can help shift negative self-talk and improve confidence.
- Try a new hobby or activity: Trying something new can provide a sense of adventure and boost creativity.
- Take a nap or get a good night’s sleep: Getting adequate rest is crucial for mental health and overall well-being.
- Take a relaxing bubble bath or shower: A relaxing bath or shower can reduce stress and provide a sense of comfort.
- Have a spa day, such as getting a massage or facial: Pampering yourself with a spa day can reduce stress and improve self-care.
- Practice deep breathing or meditation: Deep breathing and meditation can reduce stress and improve mental clarity.
- Listen to uplifting or motivational podcasts or audiobooks: Listening to positive and motivational content can improve mood and provide inspiration.
- Take a dance or fitness class: Exercise can reduce stress and boost endorphins, and taking a dance or fitness class can provide a sense of community and connection.
- Attend a concert or live event: Enjoying music or live events can provide a sense of joy and excitement.
- Go on a weekend getaway or trip: Taking a break from the routine and exploring new places can provide a mental escape and reduce stress.
- Try aromatherapy, such as using lavender or peppermint essential oils: Aromatherapy can provide a sense of calm and relaxation.
- Take a break and do something playful or childlike, such as playing a board game or swinging on a swing: Embracing a playful mindset can reduce stress and provide a sense of joy.
- Practice self-care and self-compassion: It is important to take time to be kind to yourself. Treat yourself like you would treat a friend. Do something nice for yourself today.
- Make time for hobbies or activities you enjoy: Doing something you love can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment, and reduce stress.
- Volunteer or give back to your community: Helping others can provide a sense of meaning and purpose, and improve overall well-being.
- Practice mindfulness, such as focusing on the present moment: Mindfulness can improve mental clarity and reduce feelings of anxiety.
- Try therapy or counseling: Seeking professional help can provide a safe space to talk about and work through mental health issues.
- Practice gratitude through acts of kindness, such as writing a thank-you note or giving a compliment: Expressing gratitude can improve mood and provide a sense of connection.
- Set achievable goals and track progress: Setting and achieving goals can improve confidence and provide a sense of accomplishment.
Incorporating these activities and practices into our daily lives can make a big difference in improving our mental health and overall well-being. Not everyone will click with every activity, but it is I,portent to find the ones that bring you joy. Just like the first item on this list, curate a list of those things that make you happy.
For more suggestions on what you can do to improve your mental health, here is a list of books that promote self-care activities:
These books offer a range of self-care practices, from physical and mental health to emotional well-being and personal growth. They can provide inspiration, guidance, and support for taking care of yourself and living your best life. Happy reading!