Home » chicken » Paprikás Csirke Hack with the Instant Pot
Paprikás Csirke Hack with the Instant Pot
I am a quarter Hungarian and grew up on Paprikás Csirke with Nokedli …basically Hungarian chicken and dumplings with lots of paprika and served with sour cream. Somehow time got away from me yesterday, so I decided to make a hacked version via the Instant Pot. I say hacked because I started with frozen chicken breasts and instead of making the nokedli (i.e. the dumplings) from scratch, I made a pot of Mrs. T’s Cheddar and Potato Pirogies.
1. Place chicken stock, garlic, butter, and seasonings in Instant Pot. Stir together.
2. Place three frozen chicken breasts in pot. Be careful not to overlap as this will affect the cooking. No one wants raw chicken.
3. Set Instant Pot on Poultry on High for 15 minutes. Let NPR for 15 minutes.
4. While your Instant Pot is heating up and getting ready to count down, start a pot of boiling water for the pirogies. Cook per instructions on the bag (usually 5-7 minutes once water starts boiling).
5. When your Instant Pot is done, pull chicken out and shred. Place shredded chicken back in pot and mix with the broth.
6. Dish out some pirogies and top with chicken mixture. Make sure to get some of that broth.
7. Top with sour cream.
Personally, I think I could have used more paprika in this dish, but the guys really liked it. It was quick and easy and very filling. You could of course swap out the pirogies with egg noodles or even your own nokedli (I have even used canned biscuits dropped in boiling water before).